What is dermarolling?
The idea behind dermarolling is that when the microneedles in the tool roll against your skin, they create "micro-wounds" (or controlled skin injuries) in your face. New blood vessels start to form in your skin. Then your skin works to repair itself by stimulating the production of new collagen. These microscopic punctures that have now occurred induce collagen and elastin production as they heal. When this new collagen is created, it helps reduce the appearance of acne scars, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles, and your overall skin texture.
Collagen is the most vital structural protein in our skin and is responsible for giving us firm, plump, hydrated, and youthful-looking skin. Unfortunately, over time, our collagen breaks down as we get older (hence dryer and aging skin). We naturally start to produce less collagen in our 20's, so having an extra pick me up in the collagen department is a great way to help maintain our skin's health. Itoju Ara carries only 0.25 mm and 0.50 mm needle sizes. Anything above, we recommend doing your own research and/or speaking with a licensed specialist.
*In the before & after pictures further along in this article, a 0.50 mm dermaroller was used and these were her results in less than 48 hours.
Before I go, I did want to leave you with a few do's and don'ts when it comes to dermarolling:
1. DON'T use your dermaroller over active acne, skin infections, and/or sores.
2. DON'T dermaroll more than recommended usage rate (this is dependent on the needle size).
3. DON'T apply makeup right after dermarolling.
4. DON'T apply products that may increase sensitivity afterwards (i.e. retinoid creams, physical exfoliants, or acidic products).
Major DO'S when it comes to dermarolling are:
1. DO start with clean hands and a clean dermaroller.
3. DO try to dermaroll at night. Our skin does its best work when we sleep. And if you are going into the sun the next morning, please make it your mission to use SPF.
One more thing! Do not be alarmed if your skin is a little red and maybe 'warm' afterwards. It is very normal for that occur. After approximately 15-45 minutes, your skin should regain its natural color.
If you've never tried dermarolling, hopefully this provides insight. I suggest starting with our 0.25 mm. Happy rolling!
Look out for dermarolling demos coming soon one our website.